Working On Those New Year Resolutions with Author Babette James
Please join me in welcoming Babette James, author of the newly released Summertime Dream.
My characters Christopher and Margie in Summertime Dream are very organized folks. Me? Well, I dream of being organized and on top of each of my personal and professional goals, so it’s time once again to make plans for the new year. Here are some of my tasks for 2014:
1. Read more. I didn’t read for pleasure all that much last year. I need to make room to relax and read without feeling guilty about it.
2. Continue walking to and from work and be more diligent about using the treadmill on the bad-weather and vacation days. Restart a Couch to 5k program.
3. I did very well on my weight loss goal for 2013 and my new goal for 2014 is to lose another 15 pounds by June 30, and then reassess at that point whether I need to lose more or maintain. I’m using MyFitnessPal.com to track my calories and exercise and it’s been a terrific help in keeping on-track.
4. I love the Fly Lady Flight Plans from FlyLady.net. I want to be more diligent in using them so I can be more efficient with my day instead of flailing over housework and other daily tasks.
5. Okay, writing goals: I need to be diligent about making my daily wordcount goal. I listed down all my writing projects for 2014 and anticipated wordcounts for each and it averages out to about 714 words a day, a workable figure.
6. My River series: First on deck is to finish editing Dave’s story, Love Burns, the next in the River series and submit. It’s funny how each book is such a different writing experience. Summertime Dream was the easiest and fastest book I’ve written, but Dave’s story has been as prickly and difficult as his character, lol. Once Dave is on his way, I have the next novel to complete, tentatively titled Blame the Moonlight, which is about two-thirds into the draft. I’d like to finish and submit that one by the end of the year, then rough draft the fifth.
7. Old projects that need new life: I put my fantasy series on hold to focus on my contemporary romances, but I miss that world and I want to work on them again. So this year, my plan is one to edit and one to complete.
8. New and miscellaneous projects: I have a four-book contemporary novella series I’m working on. I’d like all four completed by the end of the year. I have some short story/novellas I’d also like to complete.
9. Very Important: Rewrite this list so each of these nice, but fairly vague goals are clear and measureable and post the list on my corkboard so I’ll see them often and remind myself to stay on track. Also, use the tools available to help me (i.e. spreadsheets, Fly Lady) instead of randomly and inefficiently bumbling along.
10. Remember to celebrate my successes with something fun each time I reach one of my goal milestones. Also, if I slip up, or life throws diversions, I need be kind to myself and rather than wallowing in negativity, simply take the steps to get back on track.
So, those are my basic goals for the coming year. What are some of your goals and do you have any helpful hints or tools for reaching them?
Wishing you all a very happy and successful New Year!
The Fourth of July is over, but for these summer lovers the fireworks have just begun.
An unexpected inheritance brings business consultant Christopher Gordon from Los Angeles to quaint Falk’s Bend. He’s carved a week from his demanding schedule to list his great-grandparents’ house for sale and explore his roots. However, disturbing family secrets and the sweet temptation of writer Margie Olsson derail his plans, challenging him to seize the elusive dream missing from his hectic life— love.
A recent brush with death shook Margie’s life, but not her dreams and she’s ready to move forward. Only, standing up to her loving, over-protective family isn’t easy. Helping Christopher explore the derelict mansion and unravel his grandmother’s mysterious past should be a harmless fun taste of independence. But when her experimental summer fling ignites into unexpected love, how can her small town dreams work with his big city life?
Margie laughed. “Of course, in my dreams it was a bit less rundown.”
“I’d imagine so. Interested in buying?”
“Oh, if only I could, I would in an instant. I’m sure the property alone is worth far more than I can afford. It’s a huge piece of land. And the repairs and restoration...” Longing swelled. She sighed. Someone else would buy and live in her dream home.
Quiet fell between them for a while. Bees buzzed in the clover. Birds sang, chirped, and flitted. A hummingbird whizzed past. Two more ducks joined the first amid quiet bickering quacks. Dandelion fluff drifted by on an unfelt breeze.
A truck rattled down the lane, breaking the moment.
“Suppose we ought to head back...” Christopher turned, so close their arms brushed, but instead of retreating, he hesitated. Their eyes locked. Where dismay and frustration had filled his green eyes, want simmered. The heavy air electrified.
You need a change.
On a surge of bewildering crazy courage, she stretched up and kissed him. The brief brush of lips to lips left her shaken and her heart pounding, like she had just come up for air.
His eyes widened in his serious, craggy face.
No, oh, no. Blowing out an unsteady breath, she pressed a hand to her stomach. She’d carried her day’s adventure one impetuous step too far. Her heroines were the daring part of her. She’d never even kissed on a first date before, and this wasn’t even a date.
Before the apology fluttering in her mind could break free, he cupped her cheek and touched his mouth down on hers.
Come fall in love at the river:
Summertime Dream is available on Amazon.com: http://amzn.com/B00HJDS3E6
“Summertime Dream is a perfect glass of Lemonade on a hot day. Simple, elegant and beautifully written. I enjoyed each scene. Loved the chemistry between the characters and the house. Great story!” ~ Deborah Diez
Clear As Day, (★★★★½ RT Book Reviews, ★★★★★ Top Pick The Romance Reviews) is available at:
And at all other eBook retailers
About the Author:
Babette James writes sweetly scorching contemporary romance and loves reading nail-biting tales with a satisfying happily ever after. When not dreaming up stories, she enjoys playing with new bread recipes and dabbling with paints. As a teacher, she loves encouraging new readers and writers as they discover their growing abilities. Her class cheers when it’s time for their spelling test! Born in New Jersey and raised in Southern California, she’s had a life-long love of the desert and going down the shore. Babette now lives in New Jersey with her wonderfully patient husband and extremely spoiled cats.