Finding New Favorites

Who's your favorite author? Every time I hear this question, I wonder if the person asking it really thinks I could narrow it down to just one. I have a list a mile long of favorite authors, and although some of them I haven't read in years, they are right there with the current ones.

I have authors whose upcoming releases I watch for, but lately, the price of those books, even the Kindle editions, is more than I can bring myself to pay. So, I started looking for cheaper books to download to my Kindle. The first few were a real bust. Some of them, I never made it through. Some of them, I plodded through only to ask myself why at the end.

Thinking maybe reading on an electronic device was the problem, I downloaded a couple Susan Wiggs and Kristin Hannah books. As always, I was pulled right into them and didn't even notice I was using a Kindle. So it wasn't the Kindle and it wasn't me not being able to concentrate. I have to admit I was relieved. Reading has always been one of my favorite things to do and I sure didn't want to lose that enjoyment. Plus, holding a Kindle doesn't bother my self-diagnosed carpal tunnel like holding a paperback does. So, all in all, I was pleased to know it was just the books and I turned my attention back to finding something new to read.

It was then that I found The River Witch by Kimberly Brock. It was very different than the books I usually read and not at all what I expected, but I really enjoyed it. The author did what none of the other new authors I tried to read had been able to do. She spoke to me, transported me into the story so that I could barely put it down.

Other than a couple anthologies, that was the only book I could find by her, so I was once again on a search for a new author to read while I waited for my favorites to release a new book or for their latest releases to go on sale.

I found a new favorite in Barbara Freethy. She's not a new author. As a matter of fact, she's written something like 34 novels, but she was new to me. The first of her books I downloaded was Don't Say A Word. I was hooked from the beginning, and I'm now on my third book by Ms. Freethy. I'm really, really excited to have added a new author to my list of favorites.

What about you? Have you found any new favorites lately?



Comments